QuickBooks is a relatively easy program to use once it is set up correctly. There are many shortcuts and tips that can save you time and simplify your life. I will focus on 5 Tips this week and 5 more next week. What is your favorite QuickBooks Tip? Email me (firstname.lastname@example.org)and I will share on our Facebook Page.
1. Quickbooks Keyboard Shortcuts:
Ctrl-I Create invoice
Ctrl-E Edit transaction selected in the register
Ctrl-F Find Transaction (one of my favorites)
Ctrl-M Memorize transaction or report
Ctrl-W Write new check
These are only a few of the kepboard shortcuts, but ones I use over and over.
2. Reconcile Reconcile Reconcile- Cash, checking and credit card accounts on a monthly basis. Reconciling confirms these accounts are accurate.
3. Be consistent in how you enter transactions. If unsure, use "Ask My Accountant" as the expense/income account. That way all transactions that you have a question about are in one place.
4. Back Up - Back Up - Back Up - I can't stress this enough. Don't just back up your company file to your hard drive. Backing up to the Cloud or using QuickBooks Online reduces the chance of losing all your data.
5. Use Class Tracking - Classes allow you to track income and expenses by department, location, or any other meaningful breakdown of your business. This is an additional tool to track the performance of different areas in your business.